Sunday, 31 May 2015

Crumbly Jam Tarts

I wanted to make some Jam Tarts, always a favourite, particularly with children.  But I was so enamoured of the pastry I made for my Cherry Bakewells, since it was crumbly and almost melt in the mouth, that I decided to use that recipe, rather than a more traditional one.

Often the pastry in Jam Tarts is not so short and crumbly, and is a little chewy. Also the pastry is not blind-baked.  But for mine I decided that I would blind-bake it, as per the recipe for the Cherry Bakewells.  Then it was a question of how long put the jam filled tarts back into the oven for.  In the event I did that for just 10 minutes, long enough to get the jam bubbling and spreading across the tart shells.

The recipe below makes 18(can be squeezed to 20) easily.  I only had one 12 hole bun tin, so I used my whoopie pie tin for the other 6.  That means that the apricot jam tarts are slightly larger in circumference but shallower than the raspberry and strawberry ones.

I am very pleased with the results, 3 varieties of jam all tasting very nice, and with some sweetened coconut sprinkled on the top to give a different flavour and texture.  Oh my word, they are lovely. I have just eaten 3, one of each, with a cup of tea.  The pastry is sublime, I had to stop myself from eating another three, as I know that wouldn't have been the end of it.


Jam Tarts -Raspberry, Apricot and Strawberry
Ingredients:
  • 225g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
  • 2 tbsp icing sugar
  • 130g butter, cut into cubes and chilled
  • 1 egg yolk
  • Jam of your choice, 1 to 1.5 teaspoons per tart.
  • Sweetened coconut for sprinkling(optional)
Method:
To make the pastry place the flour and icing sugar in the bowl of a food processor. Add the butter and pulse in 5-10 second intervals until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs and there are no large lumps of butter. 
Mix the egg yolk with 2-3 tbsp cold water, tip in to the food processor and pulse again until the dough just comes together.
Tip the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead very briefly until it just comes together. Shape into a flattish disc, wrap in clingfilm and chill for 30 minutes.
Preheat the oven to 200C/180c Fan, gas mark 6. 
On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough to a large circle the thickness of about 3mm(1/16th Inch).
Stamp out 18 rounds using a glass or biscuit cutter.  The rounds should be larger than the circumference of the holes in the bun tin.
Carefully press into the holes of a lightly greased bun tin. 
Line each with  silver foil and fill with baking beans.
Chill for 30 minutes.
Remove from the fridge and  blind bake the pastry cases for 10 minutes until the sides are set.
Remove the baking beans and bake for another 5 minutes until the pastry is just cooked through at the base.
Set aside on a wire rack to cool.
Spoon in 1 to 1.5 teaspoons of jam into each tart shell.  Don't use too much or it will bubble up over the edges of the tarts.
Place back in the oven for ten minutes, until the jam is bubbling and has spread across the base of the tart shells.
Remove from the oven and allow to cool for a few minutes in the tin, before moving to a cooling rack.
Sprinkle a little sweetened coconut over each tart, if required, before they have fully cooled.  So the coconut will stick to the jam.

No comments:

Post a Comment