Now there are lots of ingredients in this one, but luckily I had everything, including cardamom which I had ground myself a while back. So I was all set to get baking. Everything is very straightforward in making the pie, the only messy bit being applying the icing, and as that doesn't need to be applied neatly, there is no issue there either.
The aroma emanating from the oven as the pie bakes is lovely. The end result also turned out very well. The English Kitchen certainly wasn't exaggerating when commenting that this pie is delicious, so I urge you all to give it a try, I guarantee that you will enjoy it enormously.
The only change I made to the recipe was to sprinkle a few extra dried blueberries on the top of the pie, and to press them in slightly, before I put it in the oven to bake. It wasn't really necessary as the icing covered them anyway.
Blueberry Oatmeal Cookie Pie
For the cookie pie:
- 105g of plain flour (3/4 cup)
- 150g of rolled oats(1 1/2 cups)
- 110g unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 85g of soft light brown muscovado sugar (1/2 cup packed)
- 100g of golden caster sugar (1/2 cup)
- 1 large free range egg1 tsp vanilla extract
- 75g dried blueberries (1/2 cup)
- 3/4 tsp ground cardamom
- 1/2 tsp fine sea salt
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
For the icing:
- 70g of icing sugar, sifted (1/2 cup)
- 20 ml of double cream
- pinch ground cardamom
- Preheat the oven to 180*C160C Fan/350*F/ gas mark 4.
- Butter a 9 inch round spring form pan, or a pie plate. Set aside.
- Whisk together the flour, ground cardamom, salt, soda and oats. Set aside.
- Cream the butter and both sugars together until light and creamy.
- Beat in the egg and vanilla extract.
- Stir in the dry ingredients, just to combine.
- Fold in the dried blueberries.
- Dump the batter into the prepared pan and press it out evenly.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes until set and golden brown on top.
- Allow to cool in the pan for about 5 minutes before releasing the sides and moving to a wire rack to finish cooling completely.
- To make the icing, whisk together all of the ingredients until you have a smooth drizzle.
- Drizzle over the cold pie and allow to set. Cut into wedges to serve.